Development Blog #4: "Static" / by Xiaosong Shang

Hello everyone! Sam Martino here.

Static has come a long way in the past week, I am proud to say that by next Monday, it can enter its first round of testing! I have finished creating basic game functionality. Players can now search objects for keys, enter passcodes into terminals, and actually progress through the game!


I was so thrilled that this worked perfectly, Static has surprisingly been free of bugs… so far. I haven’t created the save system or menus yet, I imagine those will be the bulk of what I have to do this week. I was also trying to find what I could add in terms of puzzles that are engaging and fit the theme. I decided to stay with the escape the room idea, the player will be tasked with finding what stands out the most on each floor, and disabling them, making the Static disappear.


This will, in theory, keep players exploring the entire building and encouraging them to go through everything in the building. The goal for this week is to finish placing these throughout the entire building, this should be done sometime tomorrow. From there, I need to create the save system, and then the menus, and then create the different endings for the game. Once those are done, probably around Friday, I will begin to put in voice acting and music. Once all these are done, I will get to start testing out horror elements. I think I will try different iterations, and my testers can tell me what they think is good and what isn’t. If any of you would like to be one of the testers, please let me know!!

As always, please reach out to me at with any comments or questions. I always love hearing from you guys!